Damage from a storm
What Can You Do To Protect Your Home From Storm Damage?
There are a few things within your control that you can do to your property to help prevent avoidable damage in the event of a predicted storm:
- Ensure movable objects such as garden furniture, bins and ornaments are safely stored away or secure where they are placed.
- Ensure your drains or gutters are clear of debris to prevent blockages.
- Repair or replace any slipped or cracked roof tiles and secure tv aerials. Get advice from your insurance provider regarding temporary repairs and seek professional help for this type of work.
- Try to keep your car sheltered away from trees or other large, and potentially hazardous objects, ideally in a garage.
- Secure loose fences.
- Place valuables and electrical items in high cupboards or on higher floors to prevent damage.
- Store important documents in a watertight bag in a dry, accessible place.
- Make a list of useful numbers you may need, such as your insurer, the council and emergency services.
- Make sure you're indoors when the storm hits and don’t try to repair any storm damage during the bad weather