Things to do to pass time during a power outage
Storms sometimes lead to power outages. Here are some activity ideas for fun things to do in a power outage.
- Create shadow puppets on the wall using a flashlight
- Draw pictures in the dark and then laugh at your creations once the lights come back on
- Pack some new books into your activity kit and then have a story time with flashlights
- If the power goes out during the day, enjoy the fresh air with some outdoor play
- Create pictures or secret messages using glow in the dark paint pens
- Play a board game, card game or complete a puzzle (if it’s dark, you’ll have to play by a flashlight)
- Write a letter to a friend or family member that lives far away
- Pack a portable radio, batteries and glow sticks for a glow in the dark dance party
- Pack some old pictures and scrapbook supplies and create some new pages for your scrapbook
- Have a puppet show. No puppets? No problem! Find printable online or DIY ones to make with your family.
- Create cards like thank you cards, birthday cards or get well soon cards that you can use later
- Have a fun ice cream sundae party – because you don’t want that ice cream to melt in the freezer!
- Have a picnic with flashlights, juice boxes and granola bars
- Play with Play-Doh
- Host a tea party for your family and favorite stuffed animals
- Have a silly photo shoot using wigs and old Halloween costumes
- Play hide & seek with flashlights